16/04/2018 0 Comments
10 Ways to Protect your Child’s Smile
At Skyview Ranch Dental Clinic, we provide dental services to everyone in the family. If you need pediatric dentistry for your child in the Calgary area, we have all the expertise needed to provide care specifically to children. As parents, we want to do everything we can to protect our children’s health, which includes our children’s smiles. Between visits to the dentist there’s a lot you can do to give your child the best start in life when it comes to their oral health. Here are just ten easy ways to protect your child’s smile:
1. Start oral health routines early. And we mean really early. Before your child’s first tooth erupts you should wipe their gums regularly with a damp towel to fight any bacteria hiding in his or her mouth.
2. Take baby teeth seriously. Baby teeth aren’t a trial run for you child’s adult set. Baby teeth help your child learn how to eat and speak properly and help ensure that his or her jaw develops correctly.
3. Support oral health hygiene habits. Be sure to make brushing and flossing a normal part of your child’s routine from an early age.
4. Set a good example. Although it might not always feel like it, our children take us as their primary examples for how to behave. If you have a good oral hygiene routine, your child will be more likely to as well.
5. Feed your child the right diet. Oral health is an important part of overall health. Be sure to limit sugars and starches in your children’s diet (potato chips are perhaps even worse for your teeth than candy).
6. Encourage safe play. Ensuring your child stays active is important for their development. Make sure they’re doing it safely though. A mouth guard does a lot to protect their smile from a poorly aimed soccer ball or hockey puck.
7. Remember your fluoride treatments. The next time you visit your child’s dentist in Calgary, be sure not to skip the fluoride treatment. It’s an essential part of keeping teeth healthy.
8. Don’t hesitate to take care of cavities. Between sports games and school concerts, we all lead busy lives. Be sure not to forget to take care of a cavity as soon as you learn of it though. Once they’ve occurred they only get worse.
9. Orthodontics isn’t just cosmetic. Be sure to ask your dentist about orthodontics for your child the next time you’re at their clinic in Calgary. Although straight teeth are often an important part of a child’s self-esteem, misaligned teeth can also lead to health complications later in life.
10. Of course, regular check ups. The best way to protect your child’s smile (besides regular brushing and flossing) is to be sure to take them to see the dentist at his or her Calgary clinic at least twice annually.
At Skyview Ranch Dental Clinic, we provide pediatric dental services to the Calgary area. If you need a dentist that will care for your children in a supportive environment, contact us today.