26/07/2018 0 Comments
Stay Fresh in Calgary: Tips for Preventing Bad Breath
At Skyview Ranch Dental Clinic, we like to help our patients achieve the best oral health possible. Whether you’re visiting our dental office in Calgary NE or you’re just going about your daily routine, there’s always something you can do to ensure that your mouth and teeth are in prime condition. Something as simple as bad breath, for example, shouldn’t be taken lightly. It can, in some cases, be a sign of a more extensive problem with your oral health. Here’s a bit of information about what causes bad breath and how to prevent it.
What Causes Bad Breath?
There are a lot of potential causes of halitosis, otherwise known as bad breath. More often than not, however, it’s not your mouth itself that smells, but the tiny bacteria that are living inside. Cavities, improperly cleaned dentures and worn-down fillings, for example, all create small, hidden spaces in your mouth for these bacteria to thrive.
Another common cause of bad breath involves your lifestyle. If you smoke or drink a lot of coffee, you are a candidate for frequent bad breath. Not only can these substances smell strongly themselves, they also dry out your mouth. When your mouth is dry, it leads to an increase in the smelly bacteria just mentioned.
How Can I Keep My Breath Fresh?
Luckily, there’s a lot you can do to prevent these common reasons for halitosis. A few simple things include:
• Brushing regularly. Not only will brushing your teeth with a fluoride toothpaste rid your teeth of debris from your last meal, but it will also prevent cavities and gum disease.
• Watch what you drink. Another important thing you can do is cut down your coffee and alcohol consumption. Your breath can also be improved by drinking sufficient water throughout the day.
• Quit smoking. It may be difficult to do, but quitting smoking will help eliminate bad breath, while also reducing your risk for many diseases.
• Clean your dentures. They may be artificial, but dentures still require regular care. Ask your dentist what the best cleaning routine is to keep smelly bacteria off your dentures.
• Visit your dentist regularly. Even people with perfect oral health routines require the thorough cleaning and examination that only a dentist can offer. There’s no replacement for regular cleanings from an expert.
Of course, other, more serious conditions can cause bad breath. If you get bad breath frequently, be sure to tell your dentist.
Where Can I Find Help Controlling My Bad Breath?
Whatever the reason for your bad breath, a visit to Skyview Ranch Dental Clinic for a teeth cleaning session is a great first step to treating it. We offer a wide range of oral health services for everyone in the family. Contact our friendly staff at our office in Calgary NE to book an appointment today.